The restoration of this World War II sign, designed to help WWII pilots navigate Ireland, took Dalkey Tidy Towns volunteers six tough months and 1700 hours of manual work to complete.
Once they found the first letter (R), they lifted, cleaned and replaced 100 tons of the original stones - all perfectly put back on site. 'Fantastic effort by our DTT Team with exceptional support and advice from Roadstone, SIKA Paint Ireland, AIB, Hedderman Financial, USBancorp, Salesforce.com, and Dalkey Tidy Towns mentor, Dr. Michael Kennedy RIA and Military Archives, RTE and the Irish Times.
Dalkey residents getting the job started!
In 1943, there were 83 EIRE signs, all numbered, placed every 20 miles or so around Ireland's entire coastline. Each letter is almost 20m long ! Built as WW2 navigational aids mostly for the US Air Force in the later stages of the War, only about FIVE have fully survived today. DTT restored EIRE No.7 to exactly as it was in 1943 for all to enjoy. Built originally by the eleven men stationed at nearby Sorrento Park in Look Out Post No.7, these required 100 tons of stones to fill the sign - large enough to be seen from 10,000 ft.
Dalkey Tidy Towns is organizing an official commemoration event with the Defence Forces for some time later this Summer.
It promises to be an exciting day so watch their facebook Dalkey Tidy Towns Page for details.
Orlan Colgan provided a picture which helped locate the exact spot the sign was located.